These books have helped me tremendously! They are listed in no particular order, and there are 2 bonus books as well! Read them, put their ideas into action, and watch your business take off and lifestyle come into balance. They are cheap! Some of them are only $8. It will be a great investment in your future. All books also get at least 4 out of 5 stars on Amazon. Enjoy.
Please feel free to leave comments or emails with feedback. What book helped you grow your business the most? Any books you think should be added to this list? What about great nutrition books that have helped you?
Think and Grow Rich: The Landmark Bestseller–Now Revised and Updated for the 21st Century
1) Think and Grow Rich – if you read this book, and do what it says, you will grow
rich. Period. This is considered the classic book on how to build wealth. This guy studied the richest people of his time for years, and then wrote this book based on the commonalities he observed from his subjects. What he found is that your attitude will determine your altitude, which is great because we get to choose our attitude. Learn the habits and attitudes of the masters and make them your own for super success.
The Holographic Universe
2) The Holographic Universe – the Buddha said “With our thoughts we create the world”. Sounds interesting, but is it true? This book begins to lay down the scientific argument for why this is absolutely true through quantum physics. It is a great read, once you get past the science laden first 2 chapters, and it is really inspirational. It lays the scientific foundation for the saying “attitude determines altitude”. If you already believe this in your heart, then you don’t have to read this book, but if your rational brain needs some convincing, this is a great place to start.
The Experience Economy: Work Is Theater & Every Business a Stage
3) The Experience Economy: Work is Theatre and Every Business a Stage – learn more about how you can transform peoples’ lives with your business. Most trainers know from my seminars, I truly believe creative a transformative experience with exercise is the most valuable thing a personal trainer can provide their client. This book goes into the details of why experiences are the economic unit and demonstrate how they are the most vital and valuable entities in the new economy.
Pop!: Stand Out in Any Crowd
4) POP! Stand Out In Any Crowd – develop a unique marketing message fast. The book is more like a workbook, and will give you specific exercise to do with your ideas, so you can create a unique business or product name, and create unique ways of marketing your ideas that get noticed and engage people. Getting attention for your business is critical in our over communicated culture. There is way too much information at our fingertips at all times, and too many distractions. This book will help you stand out from the crowd easily and get more attention for your business. Recommend for those who already have some money to re-invest in their business and are looking to expand their brand.
The 4-Hour work Week: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich
5) The Four Hour Work Week This book is the instant new classic, a New York Times best seller, and fun as hell to read. It is a timely and astute handbook which teaches how to leverage your time, the internet, and other people to create the lifestyle of your dreams. I can’t recommend this book enough. In fact, if I could only recommend one book, this would be it. The author is in his early thirties and is already independently wealthy and tremendously accomplished. Read this book and use it as a handbook to build an empire and the lifestyle of your dreams. If you are looking to book yourself fast, start with Book Yourself Solid, which will give you a return on your money faster.
The Power of Your Subconscious Mind
6) The Power of Your Subconscious Mind – use “scientific prayer” to create the
rest of your life. This is another book that demonstrates the power of our thoughts. While this book does not give as much as a scientific explanation as “The Holographic Universe”, it does give you practical ideas and exercises to help you start taking control of your thoughts and your destiny.
7) The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference – understanding
pandemics in both life and business. Every successful product, idea, or services has a tipping point, the point at which its growth goes from linear to exponential. The author illustrates that there are 3 universal factors that interact to create the tipping point for all pandemics. This book is a great read and fascinating, and is very applicable to how you can grow your business fast and strong.
8) Primal Leadership: Learning to Lead with Emotional Intelligence – be able to lead any person with any type of personality. This book is great for developing your leadership skills, and managing different kinds of clients with different kinds of personalities. It is an OK read, but the science and ideas are rock solid and invaluable.
9) Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking When Stakes are High – This is a great book for handling hard conversations. Remember, a person’s success can usually be measured by the # of difficult or awkward conversations they can navigate successfully. Don’t hide in your comfort zone; flirt with the edges of the comfort zone so it expands. As your comfort zone gets bigger, your sphere of influence will expand, and your ability to make shit happen will exponentially increase. First build your demand for your business, with books like The Four Hour Work Week and POP! Stand Out In Any Crowd and Book Yourself Solid, then confront the clients that are not working for you. You know, the ones I am talking about, the ones that make you look “bad”. Get rid of them gracefully and focus your efforts on the clients you love.
10) You Can Negotiate Anything – the title speaks for itself, and is %100 accurate. While the book is old and the examples in it are out of date to the point of being funny, the principles are as sound as could be. I have found the skills I have acquired from this book to be very helpful in handling penny pinching clients (who are often executives with big budgets that fight for every dollar they can) and raising rates. Read the book, than use the skills you learn out on Canal St or in a flea market, to perfect your skills before using them with your clients, as you need to be totally relaxed and confident when implementing them. This is a very useful book, and has helped me confidently and consistently raise my rates over the last decade.
Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain
11) Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain This book covers content that every personal trainer, student, school teacher, and principal should know! Exercise creates new neurons in your brain! And not just anywhere in your brain, but in the areas that deal with memory, learning, attention, and survival. Spark summarizes the research that has finally proven this simple fact: exercising can make you smarter! It also opens up new niches and ways of marketing for exercise professionals, like training to prevent Alzhiemer’s, training to help addicts in recovery, and youth exercise. Read this book, and learn how what kinds of exercise have been proven to increase neurons in your brain, and how to take full advantage of this fact on behalf of your clients and your business. Knowledgeable Personal Trainer = Brain
Enhancer. It is a scientific fact!
Book Yourself Solid: The Fastest, Easiest, and Most Reliable System for Getting More Clients Than You Can Handle Even if You Hate Marketing and Selling
12) Book Yourself Solid: The Fastest, Easiest, Most Reliable System for Getting More Clients Then You Can Handle Even If You Hate Marketing and Selling Truth be told, this is the only book on the list that I have not read from cover to cover, but what I have read is excellent. I have seen the author speak in person and I was very impressed. This book will give you the biggest return on your investment in regards to getting more clients. If the main problem you want to fix is “getting more clients” then look no further and start right here, it will give you the biggest bang for your buck as long as you put the ideas into action. Well, there you have it. Education will give you the biggest and best return on your investment. Just pick up the book that intrigues or excites you the most, or the one you think will be the most helpful for your particular situation. Start reading, put its ideas into action immediately, and reap the benefits.
Until next time, keep your business fit.